Sigh...
My patterns


Mum's armwarmers



King Boo's chart


Other people worth their
string and two sticks!




Also see


Join in!

Socktoberfest KAL!


Archives


Sunday, September 17, 2006

Dye another day...


I hit the dye vats last night to see if I could make my stash a little more exciting. The results were strangely appealing. This my new Miami Vice sock yarn. Undyed Opal, with the addition of Pink Lemonade and some groovy Changin' Colours Kool Aid. It should turn out generously self-striping as I spread the skein almost the length of my flat before I dyed it. The blue/green is even more lurid in real life. I might finally complete a pair of Jaywalkers in it, if third time is indeed lucky, or I'll start another pair of in-the-car stockinette socks.



The final picture is the most colour-accurate I think... pretty, ain't it?

The whole thing got my thinking... ccan Kool Aid dyeing be a little less lurid and in your face? I love bright colours, as my neon socks are testament, but can I come up with something a little more subtle. Why yes, of course I can.



This is the Rowanspun Aran, leftover from Rogue, dyed with Tamarind flavour Kool Aid. The result is a rusty orange stripe that should make for an interesting stripey ear flap hat. The colours are lovely and soft too.

This brings me on to my new, self-imposed yarn diet. No more until after Christmas. Harsh, but necessary. I almost waivered today when I saw some gorgeous chunky R2 yarn (no novelty braid crap) for 99p a ball in Hobbycraft. No, I stayed strong. It'll do me good - I am enjoying redisovering forgotten skeins of beauty that I couldn'y possibly have lived without. And changing the colour of my bath of course...


Kelly [ 8:01 PM ]
5 comments

5 Comments:

That Miami Vice is going to make a rockin pair of Jaywalkers. I can't wait to see the pics.

S.

By Blogger Shorty, at 10:44 PM, September 17, 2006  

That's some good dyeing jobs. I love the second skein. We don't have Tamarind kool-aid here but I heard it can tone down bright kool-aid colors.

By Blogger Saun, at 11:50 PM, September 17, 2006  

The Miami Vice looks gorgeous wound up into the skein. Should make a terrific pair of socks!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:51 PM, September 19, 2006  

ooo the brown yarn is lovely!

By Blogger Alice, at 1:56 PM, September 20, 2006  

I love both of those colours!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:19 PM, October 04, 2006  

Post a Comment